LADY AMRITBAI DAGA COLLEGE FOR WOMEN
OF ARTS, COMMERCE AND SCIENCE &
SMT. RATNIDEVI PUROHIT COLLEGE OF HOME SCIENCE
AND HOME SCIENCE TECHNOLOGY, NAGPUR
Principal : Dr.(Mrs.) Shyamala Nair
The college is a premier Women's College in Central India, with its goal centered around women's progress in educational, social and cultural elds.
In 1932 the visionary Shri Y.M.Pathak, Founder of the College wrote that 'a divine decree' spurred him on to think of educating women. He wrote 'Divinity desires that a women's college be started at Nagpur'.
This is how the Veteran Scholar, Philosopher and Poet, Shri Y.M. Pthak, made his dream come true and the college known as 'College of Arts for Women' with rst Principal Smt. Ramabai Tambe was formally inaugurated on 11th July, 1932 by Honourable Justice Dr. M.B. Niyogi, C.I.E., the then Vice Chancellor of Nagpur University and later the President of Women's Education Society . The college was afliated to the Nagpur University on 1st July 1935 as 'Central College for Women'
with Miss Shanti Rangarao as the Principal and Lady Edna Gowan (wife of His Excellency, the then Governor of Central Provinces & Berar, Sir Hyde Clarendon ) as President.
In 1942 the rst building of the college which came up at the Seminary Hills was designed by a renowned Architect Otto Koenigsberger, Head, university College of London. He was a chief architect and planner of Princely State of Mysore and Master Planner of Mithpur and Jamshedpur.
In 1952, the name of the college was changed to 'Lady Amritbai Daga College for Women' in memory of the mother of Seth Badridas Daga, who donated a generous sum.
In 1977, Smt. Ratnidevi Purohit College of Home Science Technology was established by the Society on receipt of a municent donation from Shri Banwarilal Purohit. This was merged in L. A.D. College for Women in the year 1981-82 when the College came to be known as 'Lady Amritbai Daga College for Women of Arts, Commerce and Science and Smt. Ratnidevi Purohit College of Home Science and Home Science Technology'.
The college offers a comprehensive range of undergraduate and post graduate degree Courses and also Junior College (XI & XII).
B.A.,B.Sc., B.Com.,B.Sc.H.Sc. B.Tech., B.B.A.,B.Com.(CA),B.Sc(Biotechnology) M.A.(Home Economics and Pol. Science) M.Sc.H.Sc. (Human Development, Home Science Extension) Master of Cosmetic Technology, Master of Hotel Management & Catering Technology,M.Com., M.Sc. (Biotechnology), Master of Fashion Design and P.G. Diploma in Fashion Technology. Junior College (XI & XII)Arts, Science, Home Science, Commerce, Electronics and Information Technology.
The college was recognized u/s 2(f) of U.G.C. Act, 1956 as “College Teaching upto Post Graduate Degree level” by University Grants Commission, New Delhi to receive nancial assistance during 5 year plan periods.
In 2006 on receipt of donation from Maj.P.W.Barlingay department of Biotechnology of the college was named as 'Smt. Ramabai Barlingay School of Biotechnology'
During 2006-2007, the college was identied as Lead College by Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur on the basis of its sound academic track record. The college was rst accredited with grade 'A' in the year 2002-2003 and reaccredited 'A' in 2011-2016 by National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC) Bangalore. Today, the versatility of the range of its programmes is its strength. The original strength was of 23 students and presently the college has more than 4500 students on the roll in the Junior and Senior college. The handful of staff is now approximately 300 involved in the faculties of Arts, Science, Home Science, (B.Sc.H.Sc. and B.Tech.) and Commerce.